CHAPTER 9:Finance and Budgets
Module allocated time: 4 hours
Day 5 of training (Morning Session)
Learning Outcomes: At the end of the module delegates will have a basic understanding of accounting theory and practice, They will know how to read and interpret financial statements, They will know how to set up a budget, They will understand how financial planning cycles operate, They will know how to manage fundraising initiatives in a NGO, They will know the risks and governance around donations, They will have basic understanding of various laws that govern finance and accounting globally e.g. IFRS, GAAP, IAS and various organisations that play a regulatory role, etc.
Notes: The module should be a combination of basic theory, focus should be on practical application of the knowledge. Various case studies and group assignments may be used to drive learning, etc.
What assessment method will be used to determine competency?
- Introduction to Financial Statements and Reporting
- Basic Cost and Management Accounting
- How to Draw up a Budget
- Financial Planning
- Effective Fundraising Techniques and Formulating Strategic Partnerships
- Managing Offerings and Donations
- Finance Policy and Administration
- Managing Procurement Processes
- Setting up Financial Systems and Processes
- The Importance of Bookkeeping
- Tax and Other Legislative Requirements